A Sneak Peek at The New 2017 GM Diesel Trucks

September 2016 Duramax, News, Feature Colin Peterson

 

Chevrolet just accidentally spilled some beans about its most powerful diesel pickup trucks to date. Although they’re not scheduled to be officially revealed until the Texas State Fair in a couple days, these details were posted to the GM Powertrain site for a few minutes before GM realized their error and pulled them back down. But thanks to the folks over at Truck Trend, we now have an idea of what these trucks will be capable of. The trucks feature the updated 6.6L Duramax diesel engine rated at 445 horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque. These ratings make a strong match for the 2017 Ford 6.7L Power Stroke. The Duramax actually trumps the Power Stroke by five horsepower, but loses to it in torque by 15 pound-feet. Chevy has yet to officially confirm numbers, but this is a big leap from the 397hp and 765-pound-foot ratings of the 2016 Duramax.

Chevy also revealed images of the truck that showed a hood scoop equipped with a water separator. This setup would enhance performance by supplying cool, dry air into the engine with 60 percent of the air coming in through the cowl hood and the remaining 40 percent coming up through one of the fenders. On the inside, a new “down and away instrument panel,” mobile rear seat features, and foldable bottom cushions allow for easier loading of the vehicle. Towing and payload capacities will not be revealed until after the fair, unless Chevy accidentally leaks information again.

  • Like what you read?

    Want to know when we have important news, updates or interviews?

  • Join our newsletter today!

    Sign Up
You Might Also Be Interested In...
Share

Send to your friends!