It’s been a long time since there was another option in diesel trucks aside from the "Big Three," but this fall we’re getting one in the form of Nissan’s new Titan XD. Unveiled at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, MI, the XD is designed to fill a unique position between traditional heavy-duty and light-duty trucks once it goes on sale later this year.
One of its main selling points is its available maximum towing capacity of more than 12,000 pounds and maximum payload capacity of 2,000 pounds while still maintaining the fuel efficiency and affordability of a half-ton pickup.
"The full-size truck market is the toughest market to crack in the entire industry, with so many outstanding products available," says Fred Diaz, senior vice president, Nissan Sales & Marketing and Operations U.S., Nissan North America, Inc. "This new Nissan TITAN XD is designed to offer buyers something the others don't—combining outstanding towing and hauling capabilities and exceptional towing and hauling fuel economy. It also offers excellent ride comfort and handling, and the features and amenities that real working truck owners want."
The Titan XD is using a new, unique frame and chassis to accommodate not only the Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel, but also to better handle its newfound towing and payload potential.
"TITAN XD is a truck that uniquely utilizes both technology and strength to add confidence to the completion of everyday work tasks," Diaz continues. "Half of all full-size truck owners tow more than 10 times a year, with a quarter of owners using them to haul tools, so we engineered TITAN XD's toughness from the ground up."
The Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel is a new engine, and the first Cummins to employ their M2 two-stage turbo system, which reduces traditional turbo-lag by balancing between high-pressure and low-pressure turbos. Something else it excels at is providing a fantastic weight-to-power ratio. By building the cylinder block out of compacted graphite iron, which is stronger and lighter than traditional iron, Nissan was able to reduce its weight but keep the same performance and durability.
Complementing the lighter weight engine block are other lightweight components, like high-strength aluminum-alloy heads and composite valve covers. All of these features combine to make an engine that’s lighter weight, quieter, better performing, and more fuel-efficient.
FOR MORE DIESEL FEATURES, EXCLUSIVES, AND NEWS, SUBSCRIBE TODAY!
"A new class of truck also demands a new class of engine. Like the TITAN XD itself, the new Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel fills the space between more expensive big bore diesels and less capable smaller displacement diesels," says Diaz. "And more than just power and torque, this engine is refined, starts fast and is responsive and quiet. It's also lightweight and offers clean emissions."
These are just a few of the features of the new Titan. Having been a Titan owner in the past, I’m looking forward to the things Nissan is doing to improve the Titan line. Now that it’s being offered as a diesel, I’m even more excited. To get your fill on all the finer details of the Titan XD, go here.
Oh, one last thing. Ever since the reveal of the XD, Nissan has been releasing monthly episodes of what they’re calling the Nissan Titan Truckumentary.
These videos have offered a fascinating look behind the scenes of the process they’ve undergone to evaluate the Nissan brand and see how they can take it to the next level. Check out the above video to see the first episode, then visit their YouTube page to see the rest.
Here's the entire feature list, if you're so inclined:
Body and Bed
- Bold, commanding presence with fresh, modern technical feel
- 151.6-inch wheelbase, 242.9-inch overall length
- 6.5-foot bed length
- LED headlights with signature Daytime Running Lights
- LED bulb taillights
- Integrated cab and tailgate spoilers
- LED Bed Rail Lighting
- Tailgate illumination
- Lockable, removable in-bed storage that can hold a wide range of essential work and recreational equipment, and is watertight and drainable
- Cargo area/tailgate lamps and LED bed lighting
- Spray-on bedliner
- Utili-track™ Bed Channel System with adjustable aluminum-alloy tie-down cleats
- Two-way dampened tailgate assist
- Step rails for improved for cabin and bed entry/exit and aerodynamic efficiency
- Bed-mounted 120-volt utility power point
- Laminated side glass
Engine and Driveline
- Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel with Cummins M2 two-stage turbo system
- Bosch® HPCR fuel system
- Compacted graphite iron (CGI) engine block
- 310 horsepower @ 3,200 rpm and 555 lb-ft of torque @ 1,600 rpm
- Heavy-duty 6-speed Aisin automatic transmission
- Available Electronic Locking Rear Differential
- More than 2,000-pound maximum payload capacity (when properly equipped)
- More than 12,000 pounds maximum towing capacity (when properly equipped)
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Double-wishbone front suspension with stabilizer bar
- Rigid axle /leaf spring rear suspension
- Twin-tube shock absorbers
- Available Bilstein mono-tube shocks
- Recirculating ball type high-capacity steering system
- 4-wheel ventilated discs, 14.2 x 1.5-inch front/14.4 x 1.2-inch rear, hydraulic power assist
- 17-inch, 18-inch or available 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- LT245/75R17, LT 275/65R18 or LT265/60R20 tires
Towing and Driving Aids
- Trailer Light Check
- Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
- RearView Monitor with Trailer Guides
- Trailer Sway Control
- Integrated Gooseneck Hitch
- Tow/Haul Mode with Downhill Speed Control
- Hill Descent Control
- Hill Start Assist
- Brake Limited-Slip Differential (LSD)
- Available electronic locking rear differential (when properly equipped)
- Around View Monitor (AVM)
- Moving Object Detection (MOD)
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
- Front and Rear Sonar Sensors
- Available Zero Gravity front and rear seats
- Leather-appointed seating
- Available Climate-controlled front seats (heating and cooling)
- Available heated front and rear seats
- Fold-up 2nd row seat
- Lockable rear underseat storage compartment with fold-out flat floor
- Large center console storage with room for 15-inch laptop computer
- Automatic Dual Zone Climate Control
- Supplemental cabin heater (diesel-equipped models)
- Interior cabin filter
- Remote Start with Auto Temp Control
- 12-volt and 120-volt power outlets (150 and 400 watt)
- NissanConnectSM with Navigation and Mobile Apps
- NissanConnectSM Services Powered by SiriusXM (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately)
- 7.0-inch color touch-screen display
- Column shifter with manual shift control
- Tilt and telescoping steering column
- Rockford Fosgate premium audio system with 12 speakers
- Assembled by Nissan North America, Inc., Canton, Mississippi Vehicle Assembly Plant
- Diesel engine assembled by Cummins, Inc., Columbus, Indiana
- Gasoline engines assembled by Nissan at the Decherd, Tennessee Powertrain Plant